The Hellenic Register of Shipping S.A. is a non-governmental International organization whose activities mainly extend to Marine Industry. Established in 1919 as a Classification Society, HRS presently is an independent autonomous foundation, with offices and representatives throughout the world, which is dedicated to the safeguarding of life and property at sea, the prevention of marine pollution and the quality assurance in the industry. As a classification society H.R.S. is manned with exclusive surveyors and serves the International Maritime and Industrial communities offering the following services:
- Surveys and classification of all types of vessels and offshore installations.
- Supervision and plan approval of newbuildings, conversions, and/or modifications of vessels, offshore installations, machinery, boilers and industrial components and materials.
- Statutory surveys and issuance of relevant certificates on behalf of 28 Governments.
- Safety Management Certification of ship Managing companies as well as their ships in compliance with the ISM Code.
- Quality Systems certification in compliance with the ISO 9000 series standards.
- Environmental Management Systems Certification against the ISO 14001 standard.
- Publication and codification of technical rules and regulations.
- Certification in compliance with International Ship & Port Facility Security Code.
- Inspections and certification of ships and manning agencies according to Maritime Labour Convention (MLC 2006).”
Its services are based on the applicable International Standards, Codes and Conventions and also on its own Rules and Regulations, which regard the construction and certification of a variety of marine and industrial structures and equipment.
Besides the services offered, the Society over the years has participated in numerous research programs funded both by the Greek Government or the European Union. It constantly cooperates with other scientific and research institutes, both Greek and foreign, in order to stay on the forefront of all relative scientific developments. Research in all directions aims to strengthen the in – house know – how of the society and to promote the scientific research in key areas that the International Scientific Community demands.
Today, there are two active European projects that H.R.S. is involved, the REFRESH Project and the LNG – COMSHIP Project. The former aims to increase the Energy Efficiency of ships and the latter to implement the use of LNG in the propulsion of ships. The knowledge generated through this long term research combined with ability of H.R.S. to supervise the building of almost all kinds of metallic constructions and to certify a variety of products in the industrial field equip the Society with all the necessary tools to confront the challenges that the LNG Retrofitting & Scrubber Project has to offer.